Monday, January 20, 2020

a murder victim's family member response to some Malaysian victim's family call to retain death penalty?



Toshi Kazama, Asian Director for Journey of Hope.                                January 16, 2020

I just read two news article of Malaysian murder victim's family. I am extremely sorry and my sincere condolences for their loss of love one. No one can even comprehend these victims' family members what they have been going through. I am a victim myself and know many other murder victims families as dear friends to me, another victim’s story make my heart tearing. 

I ask the public and government to support victim’s families. We need many supports in mental care and financial aid. This is universal regardless of the countries. The victims’ family need as much as support and often the system does not provide adequate support and often it only focus on punishment for the perpetrator. 

Once thing I know for sure is that over the time, the majority of murder victim's families change their opinions for punitive justice system, which solely focus on punishment for the perpetrators. It does not focus on preventive majors. We all know capital punishment does not work to prevent from murders. If it works, we never had to become victims. We as the victims never want another person to go through our suffering as murder victim. Once I learn about the restorative justice system, which focuses on victims and prevention of the crime, I could easily support of it. The restorative justice system instead of punitive justice system is used at Norway. The countries abolished death penalty has less homicide since the system forces to focus on preventive majors. 

As my heart goes out for the family members and friends of the victim, I truly hope that the revenge and life for life will just make us more victimize and promote more killing. I know these words may not reach to your heart now but only way for us for healing path is love and compassion although an empty hole in our heart never filled. 

I hope that public does not come to quick conclusion of all the victims' families doesn't change their mind about seeking death penalty. There are many victims families does not support death penalty and many has changed their mind often gradually over time from for to against death penalty. When that change happens I hope the public continue to support them. There is no "wrong and bad victims" regardless of what their opinions are.  The number of victims opposing death penalty increases dramatically especially after the execution occurred as the family learnt that justice system doesn't really focus the victims. 

The below is the link of one of my friend Bob Curley who's 10 years old son was raped and murdered. He originally seek death penalty for the perpetrator and campaign hard to reinstate death penalty in Massachusetts but after meeting with fellow victims’ families, he slowly changed and now he work against death penalty. 

This is a recent video interview of me by Thai actor.

Love,
Toshi


See earlier post that also have copies of the relevant media reports about some Malaysian murder victim's family calling for the retention of the death penalty:-

Justice For Murder Victim’s Families Is Not Death Penalty But A Better Administration Of Justice And Adequate Compensation For Their Loss (MADPET)





No comments: