Thursday, August 20, 2009

2 shot dead by police in Klang - there must be a public inquiry into these 'shoot to kill' cases

Another 'shoot to kill' incident? Or are these really cases of extrajudicial killing?

2 ALLEGED robbers shot dead - we really need a mechanism which will determine:-

A - That these persons were robbers ...- armed robbers, involved in the said robbery as alleged (Burden of proof shall be beyond reasonable doubt same as any criminal charge).

B- That there was no reasonable way for the police to have arrested the said 2 without having to kill them.

For people who die in police custody - there already is an unwritten policy that there will be a public inquiry into the death - i.e. the inquest conducted by the Coroner.

What about for those that are shot dead by the police and other enforcement officers?

Maybe, the Bar Council or SUHAKAM can look into this and make the necessary proposals.

Police shot dead two men, believed to be involved in an armed robbery of a house in Kota Kemuning, where a 70-year-old man has also died.

The robbery, which had occured between 10pm and 3am on Friday morning, was believed to have caused the senior citizen to suffer from a heart attack and die.

Both man and his wife have been tied up by the robbers, who took a long time to ransack the house.

Both the robbers were believed to be Indonesians. - Star, 21/8/2009, Two robbers shot dead in Klang

Sunday, August 09, 2009

Were the 5 all robbers? Did they deserve to be all shot dead by the police?

Another case of Malaysian police's 'shoot to kill' cases. All dead - and nobody will know the truth. Were they really robbers? Did they have weapons - was there a shoot-out? Were the 'incriminating evidence' planted later on, as seen in some movies?

We really must have some public inquiry by the courts - where the police will be tasked with proving their 'wild allegations', and also justifying the killing... Could they not have been shot in the legs,...?

Woman shocked hubby one of five robbers shot dead

KUCHING: A young Indonesian woman who lodged a police report regarding her husband’s disappearance on Tuesday was shocked to learn he was one of the five foreign robbers shot dead by the police in Kota Samarahan last week.

The unidentified woman then went to the Sarawak General Hospital mortuary with her three-year-old daughter where she confirmed that one of the dead men was her 21-year-old husband.

According to a source, the woman initially went to the Mile 10 police station to lodge a missing person report after her husband failed to return to their rented house at Mile 10 Jalan Penrissen since last week.

From her description, police were able to establish his identity and learned that he was a construction worker.

The woman revealed her husband had been adopted by a local family as a child and had relatives on both sides of the border.

She was also not aware he had been leading a ‘double life’ as a robber, but added that he would regularly cross the border to supposedly visit his relatives.

As for the remaining four men, the woman said they had been staying with the family at the rented house, but she did not know who they were except that they were ‘relatives’ of her husband.

In the Dec 4 incident, five men were killed following an early morning shoot-out with a team of police officers from the Sarawak contingent headquarters near the Jalan Samarahan/Kampung Baru roundabout in Kota Samarahan.

A member of the public alerted the police after spotting five suspicious-looking men in a Wira Aeroback in Semariang here.

Two police vehicles sped to the area and encountered the group before chasing them to Samarahan where the deadly shootout occurred.

Following the incident, police found an assortment of offensive weapons, including guns, along with amulets and talismans worn by the robbers.

Sarawak Police Commissioner Datuk Mohmad Salleh later said he believed the robbers were linked to 38 cases here and Samarahan since July this year, and that the success was part of the statewide ‘Ops Rantau’ targeting foreign robbers which previously saw three being shot dead in Kuching on Sept 24, followed by another three in Sibu and four in Bintulu recently. - Borneo Post, 11/12/2008, Woman shocked hubby one of five robbers shot dead